Happy New Year!
Thank you for being a part of our success in 2016.
As our 40th year draws to a close, we wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your support of the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF). Because of your commitment, we continue to fund medical research that will lead us to new therapies while providing daily assistance to patients and families. We hope you feel as proud of the role the DMRF is having in the field as we do. Below are just a few highlights from 2016:
Science & Research
- A collaboration between the DMRF and Addex Therapeutics resulted in the announcement of a Phase IIa Proof of Concept Study of the drug dipraglurant in cervical dystonia.
- Researchers have made major advancements in understanding dystonia biochemistry including groundbreaking new data on TorsinA.
- The Food & Drug Administration invited the DMRF to present on deep brain stimulation for dystonia,
- The 3rd Meeting on myoclonus dystonia was held in 2016. Several distinct research projects will be funded in M-D as a result of this meeting.
- Among new research grants funded this year, the DMRF selected a new Mahlon DeLong Young Investigator Award recipient. The award is named for the DMRF's Scientific Director of 20 years, a devoted clinician-scientist whose research has directly advanced understanding and treatment of dystonia and other movement disorders. Other grants announced include an open call for investigator initiated research.
- Four exceptional neurologists were accepted into the Clinical Fellowship Training Program in preparation for a clinical career in movement disorders with a special competence in the evaluation and treatment of dystonia.
- The DMRF continues to provide support to the Dystonia Coalition, an important effort in helping to facilitate research collaboration.
Awareness & Education
- DMRF's educational resources and community education meetings, including the Dystonia Family Symposium, offered opportunities for thousands of families to learn about dystonia.
- The Dystonia Moves Me awareness campaign reached unprecedented numbers through direct connections, events, news reports, and social media posts.
Support & Connection
- 60+ support groups and online forums provide a lifeline to local dystonia communities and especially to the newly diagnosed.
- Dystonia Zoo Walks and events like the Toss4Dystonia and Basket Bash brought families together and promoted awareness in cities around the country.
- Dystonia was again included in the list of eligible conditions for the Department of Defense's Peer-Review Medical Research Program. Millions of dollars have been invested in dystonia research through this program since 2010.
- Both chambers of Congress formally recognized the need for dystonia awareness and research funds.
The DMRF is the leading advocate and resource for those with dystonia and.will continue to do so as long as there is a need - as long as it takes to find a cure. As we look ahead to our plans for the coming year, we will make sure our research momentum continues and we will continue to provide information and support to every individual and family who struggles with dystonia. Together we are making great strides, and together we will find the cure.
We extend our best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!
Accelerating Research & Inspiring Hope
The Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF) has served the dystonia community since 1976. Join us in our global effort to find a cure.