Action Alert: Contact Your Senators This Week to Support Research on Dystonia
EXPIRES AUGUST 3, 2013
The Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee may consider the fiscal year 2014 (FY14) Defense Appropriations bill this month. The Defense Appropriations bill funds the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program and lists diseases eligible for study through this program. If ‘dystonia’ is selected, dystonia researchers have the opportunity to apply for research funding through the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program.
Dystonia has been included on the list since FY10 and researchers have successfully competed for funding. Your Senators need to hear from you to ensure that the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee keeps ‘dystonia’ on the list of conditions eligible for study through the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program in the FY14 Defense Appropriations bill.
Ask your Senators to call the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee and relay the importance of maintaining ‘dystonia’ on the list for the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program in FY14
1. Determine your Senators by visiting www.senate.gov, select your state in the box in the upper right-hand corner, and click ‘go.’
2. Your Senators’ DC office phone number and email will appear on the website.
3. Call and/or email both of your Senators and relay the sample message below. If you call, ask to speak with the person that handles healthcare issues.
4. Continue to follow up with your Senators until you receive a response or until the end of July.
• MY NAME IS [NAME] AND I AM CALLING FROM [CITY, STATE]. I AM A MEMBER OF THE DYSTONIA ADVOCACY NETWORK
• PLEASE INCLUDE DYSTONIA AS A CONDITION ELIGIBLE FOR STUDY IN THE PEER-REVIEWED MEDICAL RESEARCH PROGRAM IN THE FISCAL YEAR 2014 DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS BILL
• [BRIEFLY DESCRIBE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH DYSTONIA AND CITE ANY MEETINGS YOU MAY HAVE HAD WITH THAT SENATE OFFICE]
• DYSTONIA CAN BE TRIGGERED BY TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY AND THE DEFENSE DEPARTMENT SUPPORTS IMPORTANT RESEARCH INTO THIS MECHANISM
• PLEASE CALL THE DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS SUBCOMMITTEE AND EXPRESS THE SENATOR’S SUPPORT FOR KEEPING DYSTONIA ON THE LIST OF ELIGIBLE CONDITIONS FOR STUDY THROUGH THE PEER-REVIEWED MEDICAL RESEARCH PROGRAM IN THE FISCAL YEAR 2014 DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS BILL
• PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED OF YOUR ACTIONS. YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT [CONTACT INFORMATION]
Thank you to our advocates for your participation in this important effort. Feel free to contact the DMRF office with questions at 312-755-0198 or firstname.lastname@example.org